Becoming a digital marketer could be a challenging road to ride on. Diversity of skills coming from analytical thinking, keyword research, and content creation to social media knowledge may seem like you have to become a real multitasking superhero. And you do! But with the right approach and the right information you enjoy the learning path so much!
To become a Digital Marketing Expert is the dream of many and if you have the same dream, well, then I have very good news for you and that is — making your dream come true is not very difficult.
Since the internet has penetrated deep into our lives and people spend more time browsing the internet than on other mediums like TV, radio, newspaper, books, and magazines. People use the internet for a lot of reasons like entertainment, communication, seek information about literally anything they want, and express their feelings in forms of journals, blogs, articles, Q&A forums, social media, etc. So the digital marketer has the great opportunity to reach out to those people on the internet through digital marketing and digital advertising.
As consumers spend more time using the internet and less time with other channels – advertisers are also forced to follow this trend. The ads have to be there where the eyeballs are. Unfortunately, digital marketing is not as simple and straight forward as traditional marketing.
Digital marketing is best done in-house and cannot be outsourced to a digital marketing agency for various practical reasons. This is the reason that digital marketing experts are sought after all over the world right now and the demand for such candidates will only go up in the future.
If you have a marketing background and want to become a digital marketing expert; you may be wondering which is the best way to go about it. There are several courses on digital marketing which are being offered as workshops, online courses, and one-on-one coaching programs.
There are even digital marketing programs with a specialization in digital marketing such as this one:digitalmarketinginstitue.com in Lagos. There are certification exams such as HubSpot Inbound Marketing certification program and Google Adwords certification. But does attending all these courses and getting all the certificates to make you a digital marketing expert? The answer is a big NO. It may help you learn the fundamentals and even some advanced concepts in digital marketing but it does not make your career ready for a position like Digital Marketing Manager. Digital marketing expertise comes with digital marketing experience.
The best way to become a digital marketing expert is to start practicing digital marketing today. The best thing about digital marketing is that you can start doing it at a very small scale. All you need is a computer, an internet connection and a small amount of money to play with. You can learn digital marketing by applying the concepts in your own mini-project. Here are the things you can do right now:
Applying Digital Marketing on a Small Scale
- Choose a topic you are passionate about and start a blog about it. Cost: Approx $50 per year for domain and hosting.
- Learn a little about SEO and write SEO optimized articles in your blog.
- Install Google Analytics tracking code and see if you are getting some traffic to your blog. Explore Google Analytics.
- Open an Adwords account and do some keyword research to see what people are searching for in Google to find information on the topic you are blogging about.
- Write more articles and publish on your blog.
- Open a Facebook page dedicated to your blog (apart from your personal page) and share the articles on your Facebook page.
- Promote your page with Facebook advertising. Budget for promotion can be as low as $10.
- Implement Facebook like box in your blog.
- Embed social sharing buttons in your blog articles. You can do this using WordPress plugin and it is free.
- Sign up for an email marketing service such as Aweber. Costs $20 per month. Also, try MailChimp.
- Embed email signup forms in your blog and collect subscribers. Email subscribers whenever you publish something in your blog.
- Promote your Facebook page through email marketing and in turn also get more email subscribers from your Facebook page.
- Promote your blog via Adwords. Get started with very low CPC bids. Most new Adwords accounts get a free $100 credit for promotion. If you don’t get it, call Adwords support and they will give you free credits to get you started.
- Sign up for Google Adsense and deploy advertising codes in your blog.
- Convert your blog into a mobile friendly blog and create mobile ads in Adwords.
All the above steps can be done in 30 days by investing one hour per day. After you do all the steps above yours would have gained a bit of hands-on experience in the following areas which pretty much sums up to the following major components of Digital Marketing:
Components of Digital Marketing
- Content marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Paid Search (PPC)
- Email marketing
- Social Media Marketing(SEM)
- Digital Display Marketing (Ad Ops)
- Web Analytics and Reporting
- Mobile Marketing
- Affiliate marketing
30 hours of experience does not make you an expert in Digital Marketing but you will be a much better qualified digital marketing professional than most of the people out there on the market. After this, you can continue scaling up your mini-project and add even more things to it. For example, Google webmaster tools integration is something I have not mentioned in the above list but it is important for digital marketing. Your expertise will increase to the level you are ready to scale up your project.
I had the same issue! So I did some research, now I’m a new pro in digital marketing still working on my project which you are in right now reading my post.
Companies cannot ignore the need for a digital and social media marketing strategy any longer, and they are hiring skilled professionals who can help them compete in the digital world. Now is the time to act to become one of those skilled professionals, when businesses are hiring and there is little competition for jobs. And what’s one of the best ways to become a digital marketing specialist? To pursue a learning path and get started today.
That’s the scoop on how to become a digital marketing expert. As you can see, the internet as, give us the great opportunity the only place for marketers to gather success, even today. Of course, no one can afford to miss out on the opportunities of the web.
Here’s the breakdown of digital marketing again:
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Search engine marketing (SEM)
- Content marketing
- Social Media Marketing (SMM)
- Pay-per-click advertising (PPC)
- Affiliate marketing
- Email marketing
- Enhanced offline marketing
- Electronic billboards
- Digital product demos
- Digital product samples
- Radio marketing
- Radio commercials
- Show sponsoring
- TV marketing
- TV commercials
- Super Bowl commercials
- Phone marketing
- Cold calling
- Text message marketing (giveaways, coupons, loyalty programs)
- QR codes
I hope this guide expanded your view a bit and showed how to become a digital marketer.
Let me know your biggest takeaways in the comments.